Hand held sparklers should be handled with the greatest of care ! Dare I even say more care is needed with sparklers than fireworks themselves. Sparklers should not be given to anyone under the age of 5 years of age or anyone who will be foolish with them. Only light over a non flamable surface and once lit hold at arms length, I'd even sugest wearing a glove. Once the sparklers has gone out it will still be ridiculously hot so put any spent sparklers into a bucket of water or even run under a tap.